Delhi gang-rape: Protest continues, PM urges for calm

Monday, December 24, 2012
Nationwide outrage continues over Delhi gang-rape, even kids are protesting
against the govt's failure to protect its female residents from sexual violence
New Delhi: With the desperate groups protesting against the gang-rape of a 23-year-old physiotherapy student, Lytyens’ Delhi has turned into a combat zone as clashes continue even on the third consecutive day of protest.

Though, Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Monday issued a fresh appeal for peace and calm, soothing protesters to shun their rage and ire as he said the government will look into delay in response in the gangrape case, but the agitators are in no mood to give up.

Mr. Singh said the government was constantly monitoring her (victim) medical condition.

His statement came as protests, which turned violent yesterday, continued for the seventh day today.

Emphasising that anger at this crime is "justified", “but violence will serve no purpose, “he added.

Mr. Singh noted that Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde has already spoken about the steps being taken to address issues regarding safety of women in the country.

"We will examine into delay not only the responses to this terrible crime but also all aspects concerning the safety and security of women," he said.

Earlier on Sunday, the police used baton-charge, tear gas, water cannon as protesters shifted from Vijay Chowk to India Gate defying prohibitory orders.

As of now the clashes have left 78 policemen and over a hundred men and women injured.   

The ongoing protest has disrupted the Capital’s Metro Service as Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) on Monday announced, nine metro stations, including the busiest Rajiv Chowk will remain closed till further orders, following an advisory issued late last night by the Delhi Police to DMRC.

Meanwhile, the 23-year-old medical student, who was brutally gang-raped by six men on a moving bus, was again put on the ventilator support late on Sunday with doctors expressing concern over health.

The para medical student, who showed signs of improvement on Saturday, was diagnosed with severe infection seeping in her body and platelet levels falling.

Doctors at the Safdarjung Hospital said on Monday that the girl is stable but critical and is on ventilator electively. She underwent a "small operation" yesterday after medical examination suggested fluid collection in her abdomen.
Next Post »